Tuesday, March 17, 2020

During Crisis Time


     As I am reflecting on the state of developing national and international crisis, I am noticing my own protective parts shifting into survival mode and getting activated. I hear internal messages of fear, lack, deprivation, stress. I am noticing my body tensing up and my breathing becoming shallow. When I look outside myself I see a lot of fearful behaviors and messages. It seems like the world is rolling out of control in one huge ball of fear and panic. So, how do I preserve my sanity and stability? How can I support you, my clients and readers, as your healing journeys get even more complicated by the first in our lifetimes pandemic that is deeply affecting livelihoods of communities and nations around the world?
   
  I do it in four small steps, one at a time. As a  first step, I put my two feet on the ground and take a couple of deep breaths. As I inhale, I expand my belly. As I exhale, I contract it. I ask my nervous system and my brain to notice that I still have support of the ground underneath me. Then, I take second step by reaching towards my Higher Self, which to me is the Universe (for you it might be something different, such as Nature, Higher Power, Community, God, Spirit, or something else) that supports all of us energetically and spiritually. And, I ask Universe and then allow it to have my back.
     Afterwards, I take third step by  repeating to myself: “I am OK here now. I am supported. I am working through it one step at a time. And, Higher Power has my back”,  while continuing to breath deeply, with both of my feet on the ground and my back protected by the Universe.  
    Finally, in my fourth step, I am sending this energy of compassion, calmness, and support to the parts of me that are worried, fearful, angry, lonely, sad or struggling in some other way. I remind them that I love and accept them just as they are.
     I may need to practice these three steps many times a day during the next several weeks or months. Sometimes it will create only a fleeting relief or none at all. However, I know that I can always come back to this practice and use it as an anchor to support me throughout critical times.
     Next, I invite you to take these four steps with me by following the instructions below:
1.     Please, stand up. With both of your feet on the floor or ground, gently push them down and feel into the support of Earth underneath you. Breathe into your feet. Ask your nervous system and brain, ask with compassion and understanding, to notice that you are firmly standing on your two feet and you are supported by gravity.
2.     While continuing to stand with both of your feet on the ground reach physically, emotionally, and spiritually through your compassionate and loving core towards the Higher Power of your choice, which maybe Nature, Community, Universe, God, Spirit, or something else. Ask this Entity to have your back. Lean into it, breathe into it, absorb it.
3.     While continuing to breathe deeply with both of your feet gently pushed into the ground and your back towards your Higher Power, say something along the lines: “I am OK here now. I am supported. I am working through it one step at a time. And, Higher Power has my back”.  
4.     Finally, send this energy of compassion and support that you absorbed from your Higher Power and accessed in yourself to all of your struggling parts, those that are afraid, in pain, overwhelmed, sad and so on. Remind them that they are loved by your compassionate core.
After completing these four steps, take a moment to notice how you are feeling right now. Maybe you are breathing a bit easier? Maybe your posture is more confident? Maybe you feel more energized?
If you would like to listen to the instructions for this practice, go to
     If I have time and at least once a day, I am sitting down afterwards to listen to my internal parts. I try to tend to them with interest, compassion, serenity and patience. I invite them to share their concerns with me, and I just witness and let them know they are heard. I do not need to fix anything, change anything, evaluate or criticize anything. I just need to be present. When you have a few minutes today, I invite you to do this listening to your parts practice and perhaps journal for a few minutes about your experience.
     I am far from suggesting that if you do the aforementioned two practices regularly, you will breeze through the crisis. Not at all. I know that I will have tough days and overwhelming feelings at times. However, I have my tools that I can come back to and use over and over again to bring me back to the center. I know that I will need to do it every day and on some days multiple times. Of course, there are more tools available and I invite you to use as many of them as possible in the days to come. What tends to nourish your body and your spirit? Maybe its yoga, running, walking in the park, making art, journaling, meditating, reading uplifting books, spending time with your pets, or talking to your loved ones. Whatever it is, I encourage you to make a point of utilizing even more of those activities in the days and weeks to come.
     During a day, when you have a free minute, such as waiting on the phone, pausing in cooking a meal, washing dishes, or laying in bed getting ready to go to sleep, I invite you to utilize the four steps described above to reconnect with yourself and present moment. How you and I care for ourselves and our nervous systems will make a huge difference in how we will weather this crisis and how we will feel when it is over. I am sending you lots of compassion and hope for the crisis time. And, I would like to remind all of us that this will pass too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment